Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What makes a Blog good?


Yesterday I had the opportunity to submit some sample Blog articles to a company with the hopes that they would like my work well enough to consider giving me a Daily Blog on their website. Sounds simple enough, but I didn't have any samples pertaining to the subject matter that they wanted and...most of my Blog posts aren't really worthy of being considered as sample material for a query.





For me, the problem has been that I have always lacked a direction for my Blog and because of this I think my "voice" has suffered. This led me to the question - "What makes a Blog good?".
We already know that there are three "E"s that a Blog needs for it to succeed.
It must:
  • Educate
  • Entertain
  • Engage

There is more to that though. Good Blogs make us feel like we know the person. We want to know what happens to them next. Some people prefer to keep it "all business-all the time", but how many of those Blogs do YOU personally read on a daily basis? That is one thing that I like about this Blog that you are reading now. It has a mix of information, as well as a mix of writers. You may learn something one day (Educate), and be amused (Entertain) by something you read on here the next. If you like what you see and come back to read what's new (Engage), then it would appear that we have accomplished the objective of what makes a Blog good.

And...for today...at least....I hope...I have achieved this task!






2 comments:

Kat Simpson said...

GREAT thoughts, my friend. as another blogger trying to 'find my voice' this was very encouraging to me!

thank you,

Kat

http://katsklosetwomen.com

The DSRS of our lives said...

I think you hit the nail on the head, Sushiboofay (and you should tell the story of your id again..I think it's fun!)

As bloggers, we need to "narrow" down our focus sometimes so we don't overwhelm people. And we need to "entertain" because who wants to listen to whining all the time... but we also need to help...each other and the new readers if we want them to come back... and doing that will help us.

Good stuff - I can't wait to hear more.
Beth
AntiqueDaze