Friday, October 2, 2009

Missing - Brian Wehrle


Brian Wehrle - Last seen in Carrollton, GA driving a '92 blue Buick Lesabre on Wednesday night/Thursday morning 9/23-24. Any information goes to the Carrollton PD (770) 834-4451
Usually when someone goes missing and you hear it on the news - you think "hmmm, that's terrible - I can't imagine what that family is going through and you go about your business."
This time though - it has happened to someone I know. Brian is the brother of a friend of mine. She and I have known each other since elementary school. I remember Brian as the typical little brother in the typical family situation. He liked to bug and torment my friend back then as little brothers are known to do. She always got annoyed - he always thought it was funny....your normal brother and sister stuff.
I last saw Brian at my friend's wedding. He was, as usual, making jokes and complaining about being stuck at the wedding reception - but you could tell he was really happy for his sister.
She and I usually talk once or twice a week, so I thought it was odd when I didn't hear from her last week, but she's been planning her son's birthday party and she had some other things going on - so I didn't really give it much thought.
Last night though - someone asked me if I had heard he was missing.
I hadn't.
My friend is one of those people that when things get tough - she retreats to her safe place and just doesn't want to talk about it. I could tell on the phone last night - that this was one of those times.
I'm not sure if I said the right things to her....IS there proper etiquette when some one's family member goes missing? You don't want to treat it lightly and yet you already know that the person you are talking to - is thinking the same thing you are....THIS CAN NOT BE GOOD.
I'm still trying to think positive. Brian can be very moody. I can see him going somewhere to be by himself until he gets over it.
But....she said he didn't take his cell phone with him. He left things out like he planned on returning and he's a neat freak - so even if he was going off to pout somewhere - she doesn't think he would have left things in the house like he did.
Tomorrow - if she calls (I've already tried calling her this morning) - I may be handing out flyer's or helping the family search. Just as I don't know what else to say - I don't know what else to do. I will try to remain positive, for her sake - if nothing else. But...as the days tick off (it was a week ago Weds)....in the back of my mind....I can't stop thinking....THIS CAN NOT BE GOOD.....

1 comment:

Shell Russell said...

Hang in there my friend. Sometimes it's best to say nothing, just letting someone know you'll be there for them is enough.
I think it's wonderful that you are willing to help by handing out flyers, and I will be sure to tweet this, and send it around as much as humanly possible.
{{{HUGS}}}
Shell